Saturday, September 29, 2012

Why an electric bike?


Or maybe "why a bike at all?" I am at that point in life where there are all sorts of things rattling around in my head. I have a good job, but I also need that job to make the mortgage payment and keep food on the table. I am not independently wealthy and I don’t regard my financial circumstances as a sure thing. When I was younger I didn’t think about it much. I did good work, I got recognition and I got promotions. All is right with the world. These days I see folks in trouble. A lot of folks in trouble. I feel fortunate that I am not one of the folks in trouble and I hope it stays that way. So far so good.

I am more focused on preparedness these days. I want to retire someday. Will there be social security? Who knows. Will our 401k meet our needs? I don’t know that either. So my default mindset is to earn more, save more, spend less. We have four cars. Two daily drivers, a truck for the lumber yard and the dump, and a classic 64 thunderbird that is a restoration project I work on with my 12 year old son. Gas is over four bucks a gallon right now. I fill the 15 gallon tank on my car and its $65.

I do that about once a week so now I’m spending just on gas for my car (not the truck or Marlaina’s car) over $3000 a year. So I think about cycling as a way to spend less and save more.

My health doesn’t suck, but it’s not great either. I have never been a disciplined athlete. I don’t spend time in the gym. I am about 35 pounds overweight. I get winded going up three flights of stairs. I eat pretty good most of the time but I’m not shy about pizza and cake at a birthday party either. I’d like to be in better shape. Cycling to work would certainly help with that.

 So there are a couple of really great motivators for me to start cycling. So why not just ride a bike, instead of an ebike? Simply put, I can’t make it to work on a bike. This area has hills and long grades. Lots of them. I don’t have the leg strength or the stamina to get there under my own power.

 As I began to learn about electric assist bicycles I learned that many are designed in a way that you use your own pedal power when it works for you to do it and you get help from electric power when you need it. So I pedal a lot. I am actually out there doing it, and I am getting help for the hills I couldn’t conquer on my own.

 So this is the brief version of how I come to be a daily commuter on an electric assist bicycle.

 Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment